Done!

Done!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

You Aren't What You Eat....?

Let me try and recall today in terms of food:
Scrambled eggs with spinach and cheddar. A yogurt parfait. Four cups of coffee and several bottles of water. Sautéed veggies and tomato basil tofu. A veggie burger wrap. Coconut chickpea salad. A bowl of pasta e fagioli. A banana, a granny smith apple, an orange and some raisins. In the last twenty minutes alone I've had several generous handfuls of dark chocolates mailed from my grandparents. And a bowl of baby carrots, microwaved in a Target brand plastic bowl (my bad- they did sort of taste like carcinogens).

Last week I hit my goal of 25 miles. So far this week (Sun-Wed) I'm on 21/30m for this week's target.

And I feel like the Very Hunger Caterpillar. 

Part of this marathon will be letting go of food. Not that I'm not going to eat- I'm no diet monk. Not that I'm not letting myself go- I'm trying my best at eating smart. Sticking to my habitual intake of proteins, fibers and carbohydrates. But I am letting go of the tight fist with which I have always monitored my metabolism (well, at least attempting.

Because I have realized that over-obsessing about how I fuel my body often ends up with it not getting enough fuel. And the balance won't be easy to find. Eating has (ironically) never come naturally to me. As my trainer told me last week: if I'm going to run more than I ever have in my life I. Have. To. Eat.  And I can't let myself feel guilty about it. Because a runner's body is not that of a Victoria's Secret Model. And because "Your body is a temple, even if you let cupcakes in every one and awhile." (-anonymous quote from the trainer's room in my old high school).

So, over the next few entries, I'm going to explore this caloric conundrum a bit further. Recipes guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment