Done!

Done!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Official Mile 27 Experiment

What I've retained from fifth grade science class is as follows:
 The Scientific Method (as described by sciencebuddies.org)

The scientific method is a way to ask and answer scientific questions by making observations and doing experiments.
  • The steps of the scientific method are to:
    • Ask a Question
    • Do Background Research
    • Construct a Hypothesis
    • Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
    • Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
    • Communicate Your Results
  • It is important for your experiment to be a fair test. A "fair test" occurs when you change only one factor (variable) and keep all other conditions the same.
So, I realized after Terry from Rapid Transit challenged my marathon goals (pleaseeee read the entry before this one!!), that I hadn't made them clear to my readers, my followers or truthfully even to myself. So here it is- the outline of this whole shebang.

Ask a(/some) question(s): Can running a marathon help me fall back in love with running?
Can I become more comfortable with my body and my abilities even if I'm by no means the fastest or fittest person there?
Can I finish?

Do background research: my background experience- competing stressed me out. Training stressed me out. I want to enjoy this- so conclusion of this research: I need to avoid both.
       That's right. I'm running (25 miles two weeks ago, 32 this past week and 18 so far this one), but I'm not training for time. I’m lifting, but because I like it and I love my trainer and friend Marie. I'm cross training because I know it’s good for me, and swimming’s a fun change. But for this first marathon I refuse to make myself as miserable as I was in high school.

Construct a hypothesis: By running the Pittsburgh Marathon, not as a race but as an adventure, by challenging myself to finish but not to compete, and by accepting yet confronting my limits, each day as they come- I will make my goal of falling in love with this sport once more a reality.

And the test- well that’s self-explanatory

So far so good- and I'll stop soon. But allow me one more point of clarity- why 27 miles? Isn't a marathon 26.2?

Well, one because it wouldn't let me enter decimals in my web address but two, because I want this new mentality to continue beyond the race and into my life. I don't want my new found love of running to falter when I get busy or stressed. It's an ongoing experiment- but here goes!

And recipes- a friend suggested nomeatathlete.com- check it out my vegetarian friends!  

5 comments:

  1. I really like your reasoning for running 27 miles, continuing beyond the race and into your life. That is a really cool concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new page additions! Looks very professional and aesthetically pleasing! The photo of you is adorable! You are so creative using scientific procedure to better explain your own, personal situation. It's a fresh, interesting way of approaching your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a scientist, I truly appreciate the approach you took to laying out your purpose. More, I applaud your purpose. I definitely understand the pressure and stress that comes with competing- it is a wonderful feeling to return to your sport and just have fun instead of worrying about scores (times in your case).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Applying the scientific method to your marathon was extremely creative of you! You've set pretty amazing goals for yourself and you, no doubt, are up to the challenge! This adventure is so exciting to read about each week.

    ReplyDelete