Done!

Done!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Oh! The Weather Outside Is Frightful!

Current Mileage (beginning on Monday): ~10. Goal Weekly Mileage: 25

And inside isn't much better either. I loathe treadmills with a passion. (Even the ones with TVs). I can hardly stand the monotony of staring at a wall, of not feeling any sense of progress. My tolerance normally caps off at about three miles.

And tonight, walking home from lifting after XC, the sidewalks on PSU’s Campus were as slick as an ice-skating rink. Clearly, I'm in the wrong sport.

So facing a morning of cross-training, I decided to encourage other runners in their efforts to kick it outside.

In the January issue of Runner's World, these motivational tidbits by Rob Udewitz were published. I taped them eye-level to my mirror- these three being my favorite:

1. Think ahead- remember how good your last run felt. Work toward with that feeling of satisfaction in mind!
2. Rewards- Your favorite sweet or snack (in moderation) will taste much better when earned.
3. Set goals for training ahead of time- and seal your commitment in writing.

My Tips:
-Time over distance. Snow will slow you down. In this case, just getting our your door may be your biggest accomplishment- mileage or otherwise.
-Going in the morning. It might be colder, but BAM! You are awake! The rest of your day seems quite a bit more energized if you start it with a half hour of fresh, cold air.
-Layers. Just thinking about numb fingers or frost bitten ears is enough to keep me in. I wear underarmour tights and sweatshirts (when my laundry is clean and options present themselves). My favorite are the kind of sweats with large pockets that I can use to tuck in my head band or gloves if I warm up. (Stripping is entirely acceptable in running- though in early February I'm not sure how much you will actually be doing.)

Want more? My favorite running site- which is still a foreign land to me- explains the scientific reasons for the winter wimp-out syndrome. See, it’s not just me!

Beat the Winter Blues!

No comments:

Post a Comment